From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@×××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] n64 stages for mipsel… any interest?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 03:55:06
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've decided to dust off the old Lemote Yeeloong that I have kicking
4 around for use as a throw-around netbook for on-the-road use.
5
6 The aim is to have a machine that can do some basic web browsing (using
7 a decent browser, dillo won't cut it), image editing, and maybe some
8 amateur radio stuff (yes, done PSK31 with this beast before, operating
9 as VK4MM, so it does work).
10
11 I've found though that Firefox won't build on n32 (build system
12 misbehaves, it does the same on AMD64 x32 too), and while o32 works, its
13 performance is a little, lack-lustre.
14
15 Thus as part of this, I am bootstrapping some n64 stages as an
16 experiment. n64 of course isn't as fast as n32, there's a memory
17 consumption hit, but at least it doesn't suffer the limitations that o32
18 has. I did take OpenBSD for a spin on this machine (they use n64), and
19 it seemed snappy enough, so we'll try Linux again.
20
21 I have cross-compiled a n64 environment from AMD64, and so far, I have
22 set up QEMU to run a mips64r2 little-endian VM with 2GB RAM to build the
23 stages with. Catalyst is building the first stage1 as I type this.
24
25 I suspect this will take a fortnight or so… I have contemplating
26 resurrecting the old Qube II for this, but it can't compete on RAM, and
27 I haven't yet built the binaries with the NOP fix flag for them to run
28 on Loongson.
29
30 If I get some stages built, is there any interest in the community? I'm
31 willing to throw them up somewhere where they can be mirrored (I can
32 host here, but my uplink is ~1Mbps) and made accessible to all.
33
34 I can also do mips (big-endian) builds if there is sufficient interest,
35 I still have an r4k6 Indy and rm5k2 O2 that can test such builds. (Also
36 have a IP28 and IP30, but neither are operational AFAIK. They do make
37 *great* door-stops however.)
38
39 Regards,
40 --
41 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
42
43 I haven't lost my mind...
44 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.