From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@××××.org>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] is gentoo-mips right for me?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:29:10
Stephen P. Becker schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote: > >> I was wondering if gentoo-mips is a right distribution/tool for me. >> >> Here's the summary what I have and what I want to achieve. >> >> I am interested in porting apps for wrt54 and similar hardware (they >> have Broadcom CPUs). When I connect a 2 GB usb-stick to such a device >> (i.e., to ASUS WL-500g Deluxe or to any other device listed on >> http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware), a small router could turn >> into a really useful, rock-stable (no moving parts like hard-disk, fan >> etc.), cheap, small, quiet, multi-purpose device (domain controller, >> print server, web server etc.). > > > A good idea...which is already facilitated by openwrt.
Indeed. That's what I'm using on these routers.
>> As compiling software on these devices directly isn't really a good >> idea, at first I thought I'd just cross-compile the software. >> However, very often, cross-compiling is not that easy (sometimes >> involves lots of patching, which in my case turned out to be >> duplicating someone's job). > > > Duplicating...you mean like the work openwrt has already done?
Either openwrt or gentoo-mips folks. It seems to me that there is a chance that gentoo-mips will have more apps ported than openwrt (which doesn't really have many applications ported).
>> So I searched the web a bit, and came to a conclusion: >> >> I have to run gentoo-mips in qemu on my x86 hardware, compile/port >> apps there, strip the binaries, and move them to these tiny routers. >> >> Is my thinking correct? > > > Theoretically, our mipsel uclibc stages would let you do that, except > that apparently qemu for mips still has problems with userland programs.
Have you read qemu 0.8.0 changelog? It was released a couple of days ago. - MIPS and MIPSel User Linux emulation
> That and I don't think qemu is particularly fast.
Whatever slow it is, it will be faster than trying to compile anything natively on these tiny routers :)
>> Will such compiled software compiled on gentoo-mips run on >> Broadcom-based routers? > > > If you use the mipsel uclibc stages, and optimize for -march=mips32, sure.
So, this means, that if I build a whole gentoo-mips under qemu - sounds easy, doesn't it? :), with mipsel uclibc stages/-march=mips32, almost each and every binary copied from such a system should run on these tiny routers? I'm quite new to other architectures than x86.
>> Or maybe I just should give up this idea, as it's totally wrong from >> the beginning? > > > This is really the smartest thing you have said thus far. Gentoo is > really not set up to run on these devices. It is far too heavy to > directly run on them (they don't have enough RAM, and typically not > enough disk space), and cross-compiling everything is a pain in the ass. > Folks behind distros like openwrt have already done a lot of hard work > porting apps and making them compile inside of their buildroot environment.
I never intended to run gentoo on these tiny routers. I just thought that compiling/porting software for openwrt/mips on gentoo-mips would be easier than compiling software for mips on a x86 system (I'm really not a cross-compiling expert; and not everything is ported to openwrt).