From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] profiles
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:13:08
1 Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2
3 > A) Do nothing...document in the handbook that if your machine is
4 > 64-bit, you *must* select the mips64 sub-profile. (I don't like this
5 > because some folks may be confused as to why everything still works
6 > just fine with the mips profile, and/or they will just skim over that
7 > and keep going)
8 >
9 > B) Similar to A, except ship stages without the profile set. That
10 > way, folks really are stuck until they set the proper profile. (I
11 > don't like this because they could still be confused and set the mips
12 > profile)
13 >
14 > C) Make default-linux/mips/ provide all the 64-bit stuff and get rid
15 > of the mips64 sub-profile, since all of the SGI machines we support
16 > can run 64-bit kernels if you so choose (ip22 is the only system that
17 > supports a 32-bit kernel at this time).
18 >
19 > D) (Kumba's idea here...) Have machine specific profiles, e.g.
20 > default-linux/mips/ip22, default-linux/mips/ip32, etc. (This could
21 > be really useful because it would allow us to do some other machine
22 > specific voodoo in the profile).
25 I quite like D here. Removes any confusion as to what profile you want,
26 and could then be combined with B so that people don't end up with the
27 wrong profile set anyway.
28 --
29 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list