From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] n32 userland
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:59:32
1 David Cummings wrote:
2 >>Makes sense, yes?
3 >
4 > Surprisingly, yes.
5 > It remains to be seen how much I broke doing it the quick and dirty
6 > way (unpacking stage3 tarball on a running system), but for now, apps
7 > are compiling in n32 userland! Thanks.
8 > -Dave
9
10 Ugh, that wasn't quick and dirty. Rather, it was quick and silly. I
11 strongly urge you to format that disk and do a proper install.
12 Furthermore, you really shouldn't use n32 unless you really know what
13 you are doing, which I'm not sure of if you did an install like this.
14 It will only cause headaches. For example, it seems like threaded apps
15 trigger a nasty bug in the kernel that causes a segfault and oops on n32
16 userland only, which effectively eliminates a great part of the portage
17 tree from being installed and used. I really meant it earlier when I
18 said n32 wasn't for end users yet.
19
20 -Steve
21 --