From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:42:04
1 I've seen the old driver patch you refer to floating around out there.
2 After I've done my USB and firewire experiments, I wouldn't mind taking a
3 look at this to see how bad it is. An SGI without sound is kind of like a
4 car without wheels....
7 Over all, I've been quite impressed. Most things that I try seem to be
8 generally working. I've already succeeded in building the box up as a
9 general desktop system. X11, WindowMaker, transparent Xterms, NLS, DDD,
10 gvim, GIMP, Firefox 2.0, QT, openGL (some GL works, some crash the X
11 server), XFIG, gv (pdf and ps viewer), xv, gtk, imagemagik, tetex,
12 ghostscript, etc...
13
14 I've also done some work to verify IPv6. The kernel module loads, the
15 machine auto addresses, and the 6-to-4 driver loads. I still need to
16 rebuild some userland with USE=ipv6 to fully check it out, but I'm not
17 expecting any surprises at this point.
18
19 The PPTP and PPP-MPPE vpn support is working. I've spent entire days
20 plugged into my work VPN during my work from home days using the O2 as an
21 X console and VPN access node. No surprises here.
22
23 The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS. In work life, I've been
24 doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now. I first tried it
25 with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago. And
26 under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally well
27 performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple weeks -
28 no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid. I know people on
29 non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it a lot and
30 have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that made it
31 unacceptable. There's a lot in terms of performance and features to
32 recommend this file system - assuming stability of course. :) It's
33 definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new non-intel box.
34
35 Cheers,
36
37 -S-