From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] installing gentoo on a SGI Octane 2 (IP30)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:29:13
> I'm new to the SGI world. I have now a Octane 2, and I want to install > Linux on it, and gentoo seem a good option. I have found this page > talking about this: > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mips-requirements.xml > > and refering to: > > http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/ip30/ > > which has moved to: > > http://skylark.cs.put.poznan.pl/ip30/ > > but the connection to this site is refused. > > Note that I well know GNU/Debian on x86 and SPARC (Ultra 10, Sun Blade). > The main problem is that I don't know anything about SGI and gentoo. > This is a good oportunity for me to learn both SGI and gentoo.
The Gentoo mips-sources package contains all the patches needed for ip30. We also have install media for these machines, although the current netboot images have a bug with ethernet I believe, and I'm not sure they have support for the vpro graphics in octane2. I'm pretty sure a new set of netboot installs and a new livecd should be available pretty soon that should address all of these issues. -Steve -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list