From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] installing gentoo on a SGI Octane 2 (IP30)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:29:13
1 > I'm new to the SGI world. I have now a Octane 2, and I want to install
2 > Linux on it, and gentoo seem a good option. I have found this page
3 > talking about this:
4 >
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mips-requirements.xml
6 >
7 > and refering to:
8 >
9 > http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/ip30/
10 >
11 > which has moved to:
12 >
13 > http://skylark.cs.put.poznan.pl/ip30/
14 >
15 > but the connection to this site is refused.
16 >
17 > Note that I well know GNU/Debian on x86 and SPARC (Ultra 10, Sun Blade).
18 > The main problem is that I don't know anything about SGI and gentoo.
19 > This is a good oportunity for me to learn both SGI and gentoo.
20
21 The Gentoo mips-sources package contains all the patches needed for
22 ip30. We also have install media for these machines, although the
23 current netboot images have a bug with ethernet I believe, and I'm not
24 sure they have support for the vpro graphics in octane2. I'm pretty
25 sure a new set of netboot installs and a new livecd should be available
26 pretty soon that should address all of these issues.
27
28 -Steve
29 --
30 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list