From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:10:17
J. Scott Kasten wrote:
> > The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS. In work life, I've been > doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now. I first tried it > with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago. And > under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally > well performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple > weeks - no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid. I know > people on non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it > a lot and have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that > made it unacceptable. There's a lot in terms of performance and > features to recommend this file system - assuming stability of course. > :) It's definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new > non-intel box.
I wouldn't say we're skeptical, just that no one wanted to run it long enough to validate it at a working FS under non-x86 architectures. JFS is the one I've not really messed with too much, so I always held a neutral point of view. RiserFS3 ate half my x86 filesystem once, but I think we all have been down that road. XFS I tried once on x86 under 2.6.1, and it liked to oops quite a bit. Plus the slow deletion time was always a nuisance. Thus, I stuck with ext3. Come to think of it, actually, I did try JFS once on mips, but I believe there was a compile bug in the driver when I did, so I just moved on. Can't recall. But, tis good to know someone have tested it so extensively. Maybe in the next documentation pass, we'll have to mark it as viable. --Kumba -- Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list