From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] arcboot problem R5000 o2
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:34:26
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Your Good Steve, > I did forget to mount boot the last time. And got it to boot, part > way. I got a "kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing > init= option to the kernel" > > Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm not sure where to find help (google > only works so far) :-) > > andy
Well, that's interesting. It seems that both the kernel looks at OSLoadPartition from the prom when being loaded via arcboot. Arcboot uses OSLoadPartition to determine where the kernel and arcboot.conf are stored, and it uses the SGI naming scheme to do so (eg the pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(X) bit). The kernel uses OSLoadPartition to determine the root device, and apparently the append="root=/dev/sda3" from arcboot.conf isn't getting passed, or is being overridden. Try changing OSLoadPartition to /dev/sda3 from the prom. Arcboot will spit an error that you should change it to something else, but then will scan the other partitions for /etc/arcboot.conf and should auto-detect what partition it really needs and then boot normally. Steve -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list