From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Still Problems with compiling the kernel
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:15:47
1 Mathias W. wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > As I mentioned previously without getting an answer
4 > (http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-mips/msg_00589.xml) I'm still having
5 > problems with compiling the kernel:
6 >
7 > LD .tmp_vmlinux1
8 > lib/lib.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to
9 > add one
10 > make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
11 >
12 > I've been always told to run binutils-config which I've done now a
13 > thousand times. I tried to switch compilers several times. I even
14 > emerged an old version of binutils (with USE="multislot") to switch to
15 > (and back) - nothing helped.
16 > Has anybody an idea what to try before I'm going to setup the system
17 > again from scratch?
18
19 I did hit the ldscripts error, which needed a fix in binutils-config. But this
20 ranlib-based one, I haven't hit in the last few times I've run catalyst to build
21 newer livecds. All I can say, is use crossdev to completely remove all traces
22 of cross-compilers, then follow behind it in /usr and remove any left overs that
23 might be remaining (usually in /usr/${CHOST}/*). Then, remove all your kernel
24 trees.
25
26 Remerge everything, using gcc-4.1.2 and binutils-2.17, and cross fingers. Make
27 sure you're running "make vmlinux" for 64bit targets (IP28, IP27, IP30) or
28 vmlinux.32 for quasi-64bit targets (IP22, IP32). Also make sure you have the
29 latest crossdev too.
30
31 I can only think that this is residual goop leftover, possibly form that
32 ldscripts bug. Since catalyst stages nuke everything on a rebuild, when the
33 ldscripts bug was fixed, I may've just skipped over this issue by the nuking.
34 Cause else, this would be a kernel build failure, and I should've ran into it by
35 now.
36
37 As a last afterthought, make sure mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib exists and can
38 be ran.
41 --Kumba
44 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
45
46 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
47 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
48 --
49 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list