From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Still Problems with compiling the kernel
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:15:47
Mathias W. wrote:
> Hi, > As I mentioned previously without getting an answer > (http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-mips/msg_00589.xml) I'm still having > problems with compiling the kernel: > > LD .tmp_vmlinux1 > lib/lib.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to > add one > make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1 > > I've been always told to run binutils-config which I've done now a > thousand times. I tried to switch compilers several times. I even > emerged an old version of binutils (with USE="multislot") to switch to > (and back) - nothing helped. > Has anybody an idea what to try before I'm going to setup the system > again from scratch?
I did hit the ldscripts error, which needed a fix in binutils-config. But this ranlib-based one, I haven't hit in the last few times I've run catalyst to build newer livecds. All I can say, is use crossdev to completely remove all traces of cross-compilers, then follow behind it in /usr and remove any left overs that might be remaining (usually in /usr/${CHOST}/*). Then, remove all your kernel trees. Remerge everything, using gcc-4.1.2 and binutils-2.17, and cross fingers. Make sure you're running "make vmlinux" for 64bit targets (IP28, IP27, IP30) or vmlinux.32 for quasi-64bit targets (IP22, IP32). Also make sure you have the latest crossdev too. I can only think that this is residual goop leftover, possibly form that ldscripts bug. Since catalyst stages nuke everything on a rebuild, when the ldscripts bug was fixed, I may've just skipped over this issue by the nuking. Cause else, this would be a kernel build failure, and I should've ran into it by now. As a last afterthought, make sure mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib exists and can be ran. --Kumba -- Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list