From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Emacs in X with toolkits?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:23:33
1 > I've been trying to make Emacs work in X on my SGI Octane. KDE works, Emacs in
2 > console mode works, and Emacs in X without toolkits also works, but if I
3 > compile Emacs with either Xaw3d or Motif I get segfaults at startup.
4 >
5 > Looking around a bit, I see this problem reported as early as December 2001[1]
6 > and as late as April 2005[2]. Other reports (with backtraces from GDB) are at
7 > [3] and [4].
8 >
9 > The Debian bug report[1] claims that this is due to a bug in a new version of
10 > binutils and that it was fixed in January 2002. I have not found any details
11 > about this binutils bug.
12 >
13 > Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
14
15 Short answer: no idea. We should have sufficiently recent versions of
16 binutils. If you aren't already, try using binutils-2.16.1. I don't
17 use emacs (and I don't really care to try), so I've totally neglected to
18 bother testing it with X.
19
20 Being brutally honest, emacs doesn't even have mips keywords, which
21 tells me nobody has ever bothered to test, which probably means nobody
22 in the history of gentoo/mips has ever cared about it until you came
23 along. If what you say is true, we might even have to add -mips to the
24 KEYWORDS, since there is no way in hell I'm going to use.mask X, Xaw3d,
25 and motif just because they break emacs. If you find a fix, feel free
26 to file a bug report attach the fix, and assign it to us.
27
28 -Steve
29 --
30 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list