From: carlos@fisica.ufpr.br (Carlos Carvalho)
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] questions on rsync mirror operation
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:03:29
Sebastian Pipping (sping@g.o) wrote on 3 May 2010 22:25:
 >even after reading [1] I keep wondering what happens if a user syncs
 >against our Gentoo e.V. rsync1 mirror while that one is syncing itself
 >against the master server.  With bad luck a user may end up with mixed
 >files from before and after the sync (i.e. an inconsistent, possibly
 >broken tree), or not?

Yes.

 >How bad would shutting rsyncd down for the moment and bringing it back
 >up after be?

VERY BAD :-)

 >Is there a cleaner solution to this?

Mirrors should use --delay-updates --delete-after when they update.
It's not perfect but good enough.

It seems the portage tree is very small (we only mirror distfiles so
I'm not sure). If so, there's a truly atomic way to update using
fancy rsync options. The atomic-rsync perl script, in the support
directory of the rsync source, implements it.