From: Matt Lorimer <lorimer@××××××.edu>
To: Jeffrey Forman <jforman@g.o>, gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] Re: Gentoo Distfiles Mirror Instructions
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:59:26
I have a new mirror, and set up my mirror following the instructions
that were sent to me.  I use the following command:
rsync --quiet --recursive --links --perms --times --devices --delete
--timeout=300 gentoo@××××××××××××××××××××××.org::gentoo
/array01/mirrors/gentoo

I did this and noticed that my rsync was going painfully slow (i.e.
taking several minutes per package).  Since it has not completed a sync
in days, I stopped the sync and ran my old sync script (using
ibiblio.org).  It is syncing just as fast as ever.  This is not a
bandwidth issue on my end according to all of the tests I have run.  I
ran traceroute and got a successful route to rsync.osuosl.org with ~52
ms ping times.  There is not much latency between the machine and
myself, but the syncing is absurdly slow.  Am I doing something wrong?
Is there anything that can be done about this?  Any help you can offer
would be great.

Matt