From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] chroot() and broken logging with rsyncd
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:33:48
1 Hi!
2
3 I noticed that using rsyncd's chroot() functionality (which is
4 recommended) breaks logging if your machine is not using UTC as
5 system time zone.
6
7 The problem is this: rsyncd logs various stuff after chrooting
8 (for example the "wrote X read Y total size Z" line.
9 Unfortunately, at this point /etc/localtime is inaccesible,
10 resulting in UTC times being used. Other log lines (most notably
11 the per -session "rsync on gentoo-portage from NAME (IP)" are
12 written *outside* the chroot(), resulting in localized times.
13
14 At first I thought this might be fixed by using syslog logging,
15 but as the syslog call is used (i.e. not syslog-over-UDP) , the
16 problem remains.
17
18 So I thought, I'd deactivate chroot()ing in order to narrow down
19 the problem. And bing: using use chroot=false "fixes" the
20 timestamps.
21
22 Loging with broken timestamps is damn near unusable, so what
23 should we do about it? I've written to the rsync maintainers (via
24 their mailing list) but got no feedback whatsoever :-(
25
26 Greets,
27 Tobias
28
29 PS: Seemingly, older rsyncds don't have this problem. I'm using
30 v2.6.3
33 gentoo-mirrors@g.o mailing list