From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: "'William L. Thomson Jr.'" <wltjr@g.o>, 'gentoo-nfp' <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:13:41
1 > At first I thought two classes of members was not necessary, nor did it
2 > make sense. I still feel that way in the current sense of the two classes
3 > as the bylaws read now. However further thought on how we can open up our
4 > membership base, and also how we might bring additional funds to Gentoo.
5 >
6 > I am thinking we go with two classes of members, individual and business
7 > class.
8 >
9 > Where individuals are free to join the foundation. Completing some basic
10 > application/form, and agreeing to things like the GSC, or etc. Some basic
11 > common requirement for screening purposes, within reason. The same process
12 > would apply for businesses as well. But depending on the size of the
13 > organization. We would have a tiered fee structure which they are required
14 > to pay before joining foundation.
15 >
16 > Finally any business would appoint a representative. Which that person
17 > would not qualify to be an individual foundation member. Since they would
18 > essentially have access to two votes.
19 >
20 > I believe this might be kinda controversial, maybe not. This really
21 > doesn't do anything for businesses. 1 vote as a member on the foundation
22 > doesn't really do anything. But at least gives them a voice. Plus helps
23 > bring some $ to the foundation, and opens up membership base.
24 >
25 > Just some thoughts, totally open for all input, and discussions on this
26 > topic.
27
28 How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put
29 it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business,
30 say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote?
31
32 Also you mention Gentoo making money off this arrangement, can you please
33 elaborate how the money comes into play? Where does it come from, how do we
34 determine how much, and what do we do with it, etc?
37 Kind regards,
38 Christina Fullam
39 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations
45 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list