From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: "'William L. Thomson Jr.'" <wltjr@g.o>, 'gentoo-nfp' <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:13:41
> At first I thought two classes of members was not necessary, nor did it > make sense. I still feel that way in the current sense of the two classes > as the bylaws read now. However further thought on how we can open up our > membership base, and also how we might bring additional funds to Gentoo. > > I am thinking we go with two classes of members, individual and business > class. > > Where individuals are free to join the foundation. Completing some basic > application/form, and agreeing to things like the GSC, or etc. Some basic > common requirement for screening purposes, within reason. The same process > would apply for businesses as well. But depending on the size of the > organization. We would have a tiered fee structure which they are required > to pay before joining foundation. > > Finally any business would appoint a representative. Which that person > would not qualify to be an individual foundation member. Since they would > essentially have access to two votes. > > I believe this might be kinda controversial, maybe not. This really > doesn't do anything for businesses. 1 vote as a member on the foundation > doesn't really do anything. But at least gives them a voice. Plus helps > bring some $ to the foundation, and opens up membership base. > > Just some thoughts, totally open for all input, and discussions on this > topic.
How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business, say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote? Also you mention Gentoo making money off this arrangement, can you please elaborate how the money comes into play? Where does it come from, how do we determine how much, and what do we do with it, etc? Kind regards, Christina Fullam Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list