From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Soliciting Feedback: Gentoo Copyright Assignments / Licensing
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:47:36
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/17/12 4:07 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Announcing once to -dev-announce due to the general importance of this
5 >> topic to the community, but ALL replies should go to -nfp, or to
6 >> trustees@ if you must, or to /dev/null if you shouldn't.
9 > ???
12 >> Before I start, yes, the trustees realize that there are legal issues
13 >> around copyright assignment in general, and that various workaround
14 >> exist and may or may not work, such as various contributor licensing
15 >> agreements that are used by various organizations, especially in
16 >> Europe. The purpose of this thread isn't really to debate this topic,
17 >> as it might be moot in any case.
20 > Agreed.
23 >> The question we would like to get feedback from the Gentoo community
24 >> on is this: is copyright assignment (or something like it) something
25 >> Gentoo should even be pursuing, and if so, to what degree? Should we
26 >> turn away contributions where assignments are not made? Should we aim
27 >> for a voluntary but encouraged approach as used by KDE e.V.? Should
28 >> we pursue this for some Gentoo projects but not others (such as for
29 >> portage (the package manager), and perhaps eclass code, but not
30 >> ebuilds)?
33 > Keep the KDE e.V. practice. The idea behind our social contract is to make
34 > sure to the best of our possibility that Gentoo (the distribution) remains
35 > free software, anything beside that is just harming us in a way or another
36 > alienating contributors.
39 >> The main arguments for owning copyright of something would be:
40 >> 1. Legal simplicity
43 > Moot point once you go over the country border, for each country and each
44 > border.
45
46 I believe Rich means legal simplicity from the Foundation's point of
47 view. If the Foundation were to re-license, we would have to contact
48 all contributors. That is complex and a lot of work, so that avenue is
49 basically never available. Plus we have to do it every time we take a
50 similar action. If we had some sort of agreement, that would be a
51 one-time deal per contributor, and it would make it 'legally simpler'
52 for the Foundation to do these things.
56 >> 2. Ability to re-license (obviously in accordance with the social
57 >> contract, and this could even be enforced with a model like the FSFe's
58 >> FLA)
61 > Debatable, cautious people prefer keeping thing as static as possible in
62 > this regard.
65 >> 3. Standing to pursue copyleft license violations
68 > That can be achieved by other means, the easiest is to appoint a lawyer for
69 > the group of people involved enumerating them all.
70 >
71 > Having a collective procedure in which you have a single entity representing
72 > all the stakeholder would grant the violator an outcome different than
73 > paying damages and being unable to use such software, such as negotiating a
74 > reinstatement of the license at the same time or settle it out of court.
77 >> Feedback from any member of the Gentoo community (loosely defined) is
78 >> welcome. If anybody has STRONG feelings on this matter, please be
79 >> sure to voice them either in public or in private, as I can't
80 >> guarantee that there will be another opportunity to do so.
83 > As I had stated before I feel that not forcing people to get into the messy
84 > field of passing over the copyright would be the best outcome, yet
85 > would be nice having proper tracking by technical means. And in this case
86 > complete the git migration for the repositories of interest.
87
88 I actually think copyright *assignment* is the wrong term to use. In
89 general I like what Google does for their open source work. You keep
90 your copyright on your work, but grant the entity (Google in this
91 case) a worldwide license to do whatever they want (or in the
92 Foundations case, a license to do some limited things that the
93 Foundation wants to make their lives easier.) I'm not saying that is
94 what the Foundation is planning; but at least it is the most appealing
95 to me.
98 > lu