From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-core] Upcoming elections
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:35:44
Stuart Herbert wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 01:01:45PM CDT]
> Have you thought about splitting the membership into voting and > non-voting groups? You could have the voting membership as devs et al > who have applied for voting rights (to address the quorum concern), but > also sell non-dev (and therefore non-voting) membership to users & > companies? It's easier to get companies to give you money in return for > something they can advertise (hey, look, we're a Gentoo Foundation > Member!) than to simply get out the begging bowl.
The original version of the bylaws did allow for purchased memberships, and every comment I received about them were negative, so I removed that part of the bylaws. (The bylaws are considerably copied, with permission, from the Python Software Foundation bylaws.) Please note that these bylaws are still very much _proposed_ bylaws. I would accept the notion that members have to request voting rights, but I don't understand why one would want to be a member without voting rights. It's not as though being a member of the Foundation gets you a T-shirt or anything, so what's the point? I wouldn't think there'd be much in the way of bragging rights either, since "I'm a Gentoo dev" seems like it would be just as impressive (if not more so) as "I'm a member of the Gentoo Foundation". I get the feeling that I must be missing an obvious point, but I don't know what it is.
> (Btw, where and how do I sign up for membership?)
Well, that's a bit of a moot point until the requirements for membership are solidified. If we go with your suggestion, then you won't sign up, you'll simply be added to the rolls. -g2boojum- -- Grant Goodyear Gentoo Developer g2boojum@g.o http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76