From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Logo and Trademark Licensing
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 05:59:40
Matthew Summers wrote:
> Hello, > > Pursuant to the recent board meeting, I am writing to begin discussion > regarding the licensing of the Gentoo "g" logo and associated "GENTOO" > trademark for use by the community, for non-commercial and personal > purposes as well as discuss strategy in dealing with commercial of > both. This discussion will include use by derivative distributions > based in part on Gentoo as well as Gentoo itself. > > > At this time, the board is generally amenable to allowing free use by > the community for non-commercial, private, personal use while taking > due consideration on a case by case basis for any commercial use by > dealing directly with the potential licensee. This is in line with > current precedent in the free and open source community at large. > > Further there needs to be some discussion as to how we can best > demarcate official Gentoo media and items where necessary to prevent > confusion and/or the unintentional conveyance of support. > > Please let the board know your thoughts and ideas on these matters as > we seek to reach a decision soon. > > Thank you and best regards, > Matthew
I don't recall what list it was but I brought this up on one of them when Gentoo set up a profile on Google+ or whatever it is called. There was 3 or 4 profiles that was using the Gentoo logo. I'm still not sure which is the TRUE Gentoo profile. While I think it being used is a good idea since Gentoo is open and all, it can also be a bad thing because it causes confusion. My question is this, when someone does what I described above on a social site, how is Gentoo going to make sure people know which is the TRUE Gentoo profile/page and which is done by someone else just using Gentoo's logo? Dale :-) :-) -- I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words! Miss the compile output? Hint: EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"