From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:42:55
Grant Goodyear wrote:[Wed Apr 27 2005, 11:15:31AM EDT]
> Ideally, I'd like to have trustee elections finished by 16 May. Of > course, that means we need to decide how to handle the elections. > Here's a proposal:
I like it in general, except for two things: (1) I think there should be a maximum on the number of trustees. I don't know what that maximum should be though. How about 15? (2) I'm nervous about the ad-hoc voting scheme, i.e. the 50% number, etc. I don't really like the thought of experimenting with voting schemes for the Gentoo Board when there are tried-and-true voting schemes available. I don't want to delay things with an unnecessary discussion, but wouldn't Condorcet voting work well in this situation? http://electionmethods.org/CondorcetEx.htm After tallying votes, there is a Condorcet calculator (that supports Beatpath winner) that we could easily use at: http://www.ericgorr.net/condorcet/ If we were to go ahead with a Condorcet election, then each voter would need to rank the candidates rather than simply voting yes or no. We also would need to decide on the number of trustees that will be elected. (I would suggest maintaining the current number for simplicity.) However we would have a fair election without the possible mishaps that can occur with an ad-hoc scheme. Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer