From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Copyright assignment and headers in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:47:03
1 On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 12:35 -0800, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 22:26 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 > > Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > > > On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:10 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
5 > > >> I have a mostly user written ebuild in which he has put his copyright to
6 > > >> the header instead of the standard one so repoman is not happy about it.
7 > > >> What is the model we should follow these days? Since developers haven't
8 > > >> been doing copyright assignment for a while there's so much of the tree
9 > > >> that isn't actually under Gentoo Foundation copyright as far as I
10 > > >> understand it so should we just allow adding individual developers to
11 > > >> the headers along the Foundation? I will be adding a question about this
12 > > >> to the quizzes when we get some decision done so that new developers get
13 > > >> educated on this (probably also need to have this documented somewhere
14 > > >> on your web pages).
15 > > >
16 > > >
17 > > > This topic came up years ago. End solution was that ebuilds that go into
18 > > > the tree need to be assigned to the foundation. Reason for this is that
19 > > > if we ever have to go to court to protect any IP the author wont have to
20 > > > go to the courts with us to co-defend that IP.
21 > > >
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > Ok so where can I point him for instructions on what papers to fill in
25 > > order to assign copyright or is just the header enough?
28 > I think the header is simply enough.
31 Header should be enough, yes.
32
33 > Btw when this same topic was a hot item before it was when "amir" and
34 > drobbins were around. infact that sorta was the reason drobbins wanted
35 > to collect copyright assignments from devs.
36 >
37 > But if we do go with dual copyrighted materiel. Then he could probably
38 > add it on line #4 to avoid the repoman checks etc..
39 Regards,
40 Ferris
41 --
42 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
43 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)