From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 00:37:57
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > No it's not because the foundation encompasses the community.
3
4 No.
5
6 > Representing the community was the foundations intention, but over time.
7 > As the foundation was neglected, it seems that was never realized.
8
9 I was around when the foundation got there and even before...
10
11 >>> Some of our longest contributing members to Gentoo Java, aren't devs,
12 >>> nor will they ever be. They don't want to be. Some even have their own
13 >>> overlays. So guess they should not have any say or input.
14 >> You just told me that their input has been treasured by the java team,
15 >
16 > Does it mean it was passed on to the council?
17
18 Was it needed? Anything prevented anybody to pass it on?
19
20 > Does it mean that if they want me to do something I do?
21
22 No and that is wonderful. You are free to waste your time in any way you
23 like, as long you don't damage the others. The subtle beauty of freedom.
24
25 > Does it mean I represent them and their will?
26
27 In which aspect? Their will about gentoo and java? If you value and
28 treasure their input as you told me, I think they could consider that
29 you are pretty much doing that.
30
31 >> the fact they do not want to become developers while they are
32 >> maintaining an overlay is something that should be addressed, but is
33 >> completely off topic.
34 >
35 > They don't want to deal with the BS of being a dev. Frankly I can't
36 > blame them in the least.
37
38 Not that you aren't threating of adding a large deal of bureaucracy
39 right now, is it? (c.f the twin email in which you take the letter of a
40 glep as a weapon against me apparently)
41
42 >>> There should not be this elitism with a divide between developers,
43 >>> users, contributors, sponsors, etc. We are all together the Gentoo
44 >>> community. Which the foundation as I understand it, was intended from
45 >>> it's inception to represent.
46 >> NO, the foundation is an US activity born to have people sponsoring us
47 >> get tax cuts. At least that was the main idea.
48 >
49 > Who's idea?
50
51 People who tried to move from inc. to a nfp org.
52
53 > Who created the foundation? Who handed things over to the
54 > foundation? What was their intentions? That was surely not their plan.
55 > If it was their plan, they would have filed 501c3, not 501c6. Which has
56 > no provisions for write off.
57
58 I think everybody could dig the discussion about why 501c6 and not
59 501c3, I couldn't care less since I'm European and by that time I wasn't
60 that interested on the issue.
61
62 > Never has anyone ever legally been able to donate to and write off as a
63 > charitable donation. Any amount to the Gentoo Foundation, ever. It's not
64 > that type of legal entity.
65
66 I know, it was supposed to be something else from start.
67
68 lu
72 Luca Barbato
73 Gentoo Council Member