From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 00:37:57
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> No it's not because the foundation encompasses the community.
No.
> Representing the community was the foundations intention, but over time. > As the foundation was neglected, it seems that was never realized.
I was around when the foundation got there and even before...
>>> Some of our longest contributing members to Gentoo Java, aren't devs, >>> nor will they ever be. They don't want to be. Some even have their own >>> overlays. So guess they should not have any say or input. >> You just told me that their input has been treasured by the java team, > > Does it mean it was passed on to the council?
Was it needed? Anything prevented anybody to pass it on?
> Does it mean that if they want me to do something I do?
No and that is wonderful. You are free to waste your time in any way you like, as long you don't damage the others. The subtle beauty of freedom.
> Does it mean I represent them and their will?
In which aspect? Their will about gentoo and java? If you value and treasure their input as you told me, I think they could consider that you are pretty much doing that.
>> the fact they do not want to become developers while they are >> maintaining an overlay is something that should be addressed, but is >> completely off topic. > > They don't want to deal with the BS of being a dev. Frankly I can't > blame them in the least.
Not that you aren't threating of adding a large deal of bureaucracy right now, is it? (c.f the twin email in which you take the letter of a glep as a weapon against me apparently)
>>> There should not be this elitism with a divide between developers, >>> users, contributors, sponsors, etc. We are all together the Gentoo >>> community. Which the foundation as I understand it, was intended from >>> it's inception to represent. >> NO, the foundation is an US activity born to have people sponsoring us >> get tax cuts. At least that was the main idea. > > Who's idea?
People who tried to move from inc. to a nfp org.
> Who created the foundation? Who handed things over to the > foundation? What was their intentions? That was surely not their plan. > If it was their plan, they would have filed 501c3, not 501c6. Which has > no provisions for write off.
I think everybody could dig the discussion about why 501c6 and not 501c3, I couldn't care less since I'm European and by that time I wasn't that interested on the issue.