From: Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:20:52
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 15:20 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:

> As for the idea of having two-year terms, I tend to think that our > turnover is just too high for that. It's rare for devs to be active for > two years, and a two-year term essentially requires that they be active > for three years (with the first year required for foundation > membership). >
That's the thing IMO, a trustee shouldn't be any run of the mill dev, they should know and experience the history, they should be someone who has dedicated/proven themselves to the gentoo way and aren't going to leave the project on a whim. As a trustee you're gonna be there to protect the foundation and it's fundamentals, to promote the foundation as a whole. Trustees should be held to a higher standard, but this just my opinion. If the person is gonna leave the project after a year of being a trustee, then that person shouldn't have volunteered in the first place. (unless its because of some illness or family related event) Back to the point, year terms seem awfully short within the scope of their jobs. As you've seen the legal stuff takes forever just for the most minute things. -- Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~bcowan Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56 Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE 20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56