From: Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:20:52
1 On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 15:20 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 > As for the idea of having two-year terms, I tend to think that our
4 > turnover is just too high for that. It's rare for devs to be active for
5 > two years, and a two-year term essentially requires that they be active
6 > for three years (with the first year required for foundation
7 > membership).
10 That's the thing IMO, a trustee shouldn't be any run of the mill dev,
11 they should know and experience the history, they should be someone who
12 has dedicated/proven themselves to the gentoo way and aren't going to
13 leave the project on a whim. As a trustee you're gonna be there to
14 protect the foundation and it's fundamentals, to promote the foundation
15 as a whole. Trustees should be held to a higher standard, but this just
16 my opinion. If the person is gonna leave the project after a year of
17 being a trustee, then that person shouldn't have volunteered in the
18 first place. (unless its because of some illness or family related
19 event)
20
21 Back to the point, year terms seem awfully short within the scope of
22 their jobs. As you've seen the legal stuff takes forever just for the
23 most minute things.
26 Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
27 Developer,
28 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~bcowan
29
30 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
31 Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE 20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56