From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nominations
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:07:41
1 On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 14:37 -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > > Being as it's already January 27th:
3 >
4 > Yes, it wasn't expected days would go by with no response. So picking
5 > any new dates is kinda pointless till we know when they will be
6 > commented on.
7 >
8 > > Nominations start Jan 30th through Feb 12th,
9 > > Elections Feb 13th through 27th, new Trustees in march ;)
10 >
11 > No problem, unless we don't hear from Grant by the 30th. Then we reset
12 > again and push back/delay some more.
13
14 Umm... how about "from now until the 12th" so we can just start and not
15 wait for Grant.
16
17 No offense, but this whole "we have to wait for $foo to comment" is why
18 we're very much in this boat in the first place. Do any of you
19 seriously think that Grant is going to have some sort of objection to
20 the *dates* in which the election is held?
21
22 Also, votes can be called by the Foundation membership without Trustee
23 approval.
24
25 I'm a Foundation member. I say we call this vote, starting nominations
26 now, ending the 12th, voting from the 13th through the 27th. There, now
27 it's official. Can we start nominating now?
28
29 *grin*
30
31 > Or any date, even if we don't agree. As most all want the date to come
32 > from the trustees.
33
34 Quit looking to the trustees for everything. That is *also* how we got
35 into this mess. We're perfectly capable of doing quite a lot without
36 the trustees, so long as we are acting on their behalf or acting on the
37 behalf of the Foundation. As a Foundation member, one's vote counts
38 exactly the same as a trustee, except in cases where the board must make
39 a decision, which is generally only done as "proxy" to keep from having
40 to constantly poll the membership. As opposed to the Council, which is
41 purely a "representative government" the trustees more directly answer
42 to the membership. The members are the real voters. The trustees just
43 work on their behalf to save time. If the trustees do something the
44 membership doesn't like, the membership can vote and veto it and the
45 trustees cannot do a thing. They don't have any real special powers,
46 other than what they're granted. This is essentially the opposite of
47 the Council, which has *every* power except those that are explicitly
48 denied.
49
50 Anyway, at this point, we don't need to constantly wait on Grant except
51 in cases where a signature is required or access to our finances is
52 required. Remember, it was designed this way on purpose to not impede
53 progress.
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
58 Games Developer