From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:31:49
1 On 1/31/08, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:24 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > OK, I'm starting a new thread here to try to discuss some things the
5 > > trustees can do to improve both visibility and also attempt to
6 > > ensure/promote progress within the Foundation. Please chime in with
7 > > your own ideas.
8 > >
9 > > - Regular meetings - The trustees should have a regular monthly meeting
10 > > to discuss progress, preferably the first week of the month (for GMN).
11 > >
12 > > - Regular GMN section - I think that both the Council and the trustees
13 > > should have a section each for summaries of their latest meetings. This
14 > > should relay information about what is happening to the developer pool
15 > > and the community, in general.
16 > >
17 > > - Named positions - I also think that specifically putting certain
18 > > people into certain positions would possibly improve getting things
19 > > done. For each position, there should be an alternate, so that we don't
20 > > end up relying on a single person. This also breaks up the
21 > > responsibilities a bit so that the trustees and the community know what
22 > > responsibilities that each person should be working. Positions that I
23 > > see that could/should be filled: President, Secretary, Treasurer
24 > >
25 > > Those are my initial ideas. Comments?
26 >
27 > +1 to all
28 >
29 > Also I think that possibly the trustees should do more personnel and
30 > drama management. Which presently falls under the council, but doesn't
31 > seem technical in nature. But that could potentially be controversial,
32 > and not likely to be one of the first actions.
33
34 I would prefer you inquire about this at a council meeting. Gentoo
35 the distribution has lots of siloing and leadership problems that need
36 work and I think with stronger leadership you will note a decrease in
37 drama. I am not sure how many developers are interested in being a
38 'project lead'; currently people are more 'technical leads'.
39
40 -Alec
43 > One of the first actions I would like to see. Which I will mention when
44 > I write a formal agenda for my plans in office if elected. Is to
45 > transfer financial and legal matters to the SPI, pending a vote on the
46 > matter. Verses doing it in house.
47 >
48 > If that happened, we would still need named positions. As in one person,
49 > with a backup to be the liaison between Gentoo and the SPI. Along with
50 > other defined/named roles for a re-focused board of trustees. With the
51 > main weight of financial and legal obligations and responsibilities
52 > removed.
53 >
54 > Focusing then on fund raising, relations, bolstering the community, etc.
55 > All of the things that don't fall under the realm of the council. Which
56 > as stated above, some things might need transfer of responsibility from
57 > council to foundation. For non technical things, and things the council
58 > would rather not deal with nor should have to.
61 > --
62 > William L. Thomson Jr.
63 > Gentoo/amd64/Java
67 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list