From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Use of Name and Logo
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:27:50
1 On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 01:31, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 27 September 2004 02:10, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Trademark law in the U.S. basically dictates that if others are using
4 > > our trademark in our area, they need to be either licensed or
5 > > cease-and-desisted shortly after we become aware of them. If we just
6 > > ignore them, the trademark's considered abandoned and we lose its
7 > > ownership.
8 >
9 > I would like to add here that in any case the logo's are copyrighted and
10 > so can not be forfeited (within 80 years). I believe they are also part
11 > of the trademarks, but also fall under copyright protection.
12
13 Certainly, as graphic art. It's important to keep in mind that Gentoo is
14 more than a logo, however. People can use the name Gentoo without the
15 logo.
16 --
17 Donnie Berkholz
18 Gentoo Linux