From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Points to Ponder for Sundays Meeting.
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:09:32
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:
6 > Hash: SHA1
7 >
8 > Team,
9 >
10 > 1. We are required to advise Foundation members of meetings, in advance
11 > and it seems, written notice is required. Its my view that an opt in
12 > mailing list like gentoo-nfp is not adequate. Many members don't
13 > subscribe and its also used for public debate, which many members are
14 > not interested in.
15 > I don't think snail mail is in keeping with our image either.
16 >
17 > It follows that we need something like gentoo-foundation-announce which
18 > members are automaticly subscribed to or we use a list of members email
19 > addresses to circulate notices. The difference is one of implementation
20 > detail.
23 Seems a good idea.
24
25 > We probably need to agree our bylaws before we can implement such a
26 > list, as the bylaws define the qualifications for membership.
27 >
28 > 2. IRC voting and Proxies.
29 > I'm not sure we will ever use IRC for a vote. It could be managed by
30 > voicing the members on the list in 1) and setting the channel +m. Votes
31 > are then cast, since only members can speak in the channel.
34 It doesn't work for the reasons you mention.
37 > I'm coming round to the opinion that any issues needing to be put to a
38 > vote of members will be voted on in the normal Gentoo way over a period
39 > of days, if not weeks. If that's so, we need some officers to run
40 > votes.
41
42 Until (unless?) you decide to change the Foundation membership rules,
43 you can use last voting officers. I've talked with rane and fox2mike
44 about starting a gentoo election project, which would be responsible
45 for keeping the election scripts. The team would update (tweak?) the
46 scripts as needed, but an infra member would still run the scripts -
47 no change on policy. The project would have a list of members that are
48 willing to be officers on elections and for any particular election a
49 subset of member would be chosen to run it. This election team could
50 also help coordinate or run elections for other teams - if asked to do
51 so.
54 > I'm just trying to air my views in advance of the Sunday meeting in the
55 > hope it will make the meeting slicker.
56 >
57 > Thoughts and other options please.
58
59 - From the previous mails, my understanding is that the point about
60 membership to the Foundation is not to be discussed on this meeting,
61 but on a later date. Am I correct?
64 > - --
65 > Regards,
66 >