From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:47:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.02.03 16:49, Matthew Summers wrote:
5 > Roy Bamford wrote:
8 > > Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of them
9 > > are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't know how
10 > > to reach this group *before* they start asking for help in #gentoo
11 > > and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we have to solve.
14 > Roy,
15 >
16 > Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest Gentoo
17 > provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled "Learning Linux
18 > with Gentoo". Within this we could easily address many issues faced
19 > by new Linux/Gentoo users. It would seem, as well, to be a good
20 > service to the Gentoo and larger Linux communities, as many users of
21 > other distros get information from our documentation pages as well as
22 > our forums. This could potentially increase Gentoo's exposure as
23 > well
24 > as our user base by "de-mystifying" Gentoo and basically easing new
25 > users into our way of operating, while also providing a great
26 > resource
27 > for all Linux/Gentoo users. I do want to state that this is not in
28 > any way intended to disparage the efforts of the Gentoo Documentation
29 > Project in any way. I think our docs are fantastic in many ways. I
30 > am
31 > simply suggesting some various extensions to that documentation base
32 > as well as some updates.
33 >
34 > This would also fit into my earlier proposition regarding the use of
35 > university technical writing interns for said documentation projects
36 > as posted to this list and syndicated as a guest post on Joshua
37 > Jackson's (tsunam) blog.
38 >
39 > As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned
40 > endeavor.
41 >
42 > Best Regards,
43 >
44 > Matthew W. Summers
45 > (quantumsummers)
49 Matthew,
50
51 I think this is a good idea. However, one of the issues is that a body
52 of new users is not even aware of the existance of the current
53 documentation.
54
55 e.g. How to head off questions like "I've just started the minimal CD
56 to install Gentoo but all I get is a black screen with some text at the
57 bottom. Where do I click to install Gentoo?"
58
59 I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a troll but as this represents a class of
60 problems seen on the forums, I'm sure that some are genuine.
63 - --
64 Regards,
65
66 Roy Bamford