From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Membership straw poll
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:22:12
I didn't vote in time to be counted, but here are a couple comments...

Grant Goodyear wrote:	[Sat Apr 16 2005, 09:56:59AM EDT]
> Here's the results as of this morning. Fifty-three people voted (not > including myself, since I'm doing the counting). I should have had us > set up a mail alias so that somebody else also received the votes, since > with this method people have to trust that my counting is honest. Sorry > about that. > > > 1. Gentoo Foundation membership is available to all Gentoo developers > > ___ Immediately upon becoming a dev > 5 votes > > ___ 1 year after becoming a dev > 42 votes > > ___ 2 years after becoming a dev > 2 votes > > ___ None of the above > 2 votes > > Multiple people commented that this question was too simplistic. Does > the X years need to be continuous? What happens with a dev who is on > hiatus for some period of time? Should there be an alternative > "fast-track w/ Y nominations from existing members" route to becoming > a member? Nonetheless, there does seem to be a substantial consensus > that 1 year is about right.
Personally, I'd like continuous 1 year required prior to eligibility. A hiatus (the semi-official Gentoo term for leave of absence) of more than 30 days would revoke membership, requiring 6 months of activity following the hiatus to restore membership. This rule would attempt to ensure that members are abreast of current goings-on to reduce uninformed voting. It's also simple and relatively easy to track. Some might ask: What about developers that just leave for a while, but don't announce they are on hiatus? I'll respond in advance: don't worry about it. Hopefully somebody notices and queries them. If a developer isn't responding, bring it up on -core in case somebody is in contact with the dev in question. If the developer can't be raised within 30 days, they will be considered "on hiatus". I don't see the point in fast-track. Keep it simple: 1 year continuous activity, then membership is possible. The only point I can see in "sponsoring" newer devs to membership is to get more supporters for a given vote, which isn't a good reason. I don't think it's asking too much for developers to actively contribute for a year before they're allowed to vote; after all, they can help swing the vote by arguing effectively in a public forum such as -dev without the need for voting privileges themselves. Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer