From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Membership straw poll
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:22:12
1 I didn't vote in time to be counted, but here are a couple comments...
2
3 Grant Goodyear wrote: [Sat Apr 16 2005, 09:56:59AM EDT]
4 > Here's the results as of this morning. Fifty-three people voted (not
5 > including myself, since I'm doing the counting). I should have had us
6 > set up a mail alias so that somebody else also received the votes, since
7 > with this method people have to trust that my counting is honest. Sorry
8 > about that.
9 >
10 > > 1. Gentoo Foundation membership is available to all Gentoo developers
11 > > ___ Immediately upon becoming a dev
12 > 5 votes
13 > > ___ 1 year after becoming a dev
14 > 42 votes
15 > > ___ 2 years after becoming a dev
16 > 2 votes
17 > > ___ None of the above
18 > 2 votes
19 >
20 > Multiple people commented that this question was too simplistic. Does
21 > the X years need to be continuous? What happens with a dev who is on
22 > hiatus for some period of time? Should there be an alternative
23 > "fast-track w/ Y nominations from existing members" route to becoming
24 > a member? Nonetheless, there does seem to be a substantial consensus
25 > that 1 year is about right.
26
27 Personally, I'd like continuous 1 year required prior to eligibility.
28 A hiatus (the semi-official Gentoo term for leave of absence) of more
29 than 30 days would revoke membership, requiring 6 months of activity
30 following the hiatus to restore membership. This rule would attempt
31 to ensure that members are abreast of current goings-on to reduce
32 uninformed voting. It's also simple and relatively easy to track.
33
34 Some might ask: What about developers that just leave for a while, but
35 don't announce they are on hiatus? I'll respond in advance: don't
36 worry about it. Hopefully somebody notices and queries them. If
37 a developer isn't responding, bring it up on -core in case somebody is
38 in contact with the dev in question. If the developer can't be raised
39 within 30 days, they will be considered "on hiatus".
40
41 I don't see the point in fast-track. Keep it simple: 1 year
42 continuous activity, then membership is possible. The only point
43 I can see in "sponsoring" newer devs to membership is to get more
44 supporters for a given vote, which isn't a good reason. I don't think
45 it's asking too much for developers to actively contribute for a year
46 before they're allowed to vote; after all, they can help swing the
47 vote by arguing effectively in a public forum such as -dev without the
48 need for voting privileges themselves.
49
50 Regards,
51 Aron
54 Aron Griffis