From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Logo and Trademark Licensing
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:23:00
Hello,

Pursuant to the recent board meeting, I am writing to begin discussion
regarding the licensing of the Gentoo "g" logo and associated "GENTOO"
trademark for use by the community, for non-commercial and personal
purposes as well as discuss strategy in dealing with commercial of
both. This discussion will include use by derivative distributions
based in part on Gentoo as well as Gentoo itself.

At this time, the board is generally amenable to allowing free use by
the community for non-commercial, private, personal use while taking
due consideration on a case by case basis for any commercial use by
dealing directly with the potential licensee. This is in line with
current precedent in the free and open source community at large.

Further there needs to be some discussion as to how we can best
demarcate official Gentoo media and items where necessary to prevent
confusion and/or the unintentional conveyance of support.

Please let the board know your thoughts and ideas on these matters as
we seek to reach a decision soon.

Thank you and best regards,
Matthew
--