From: Jan Bilek <clonolu@×××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:58:25
1 On Feb 4, 2008 10:34 AM, Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o> wrote:
5 > "Jan Bilek" <clonolu-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@××××××××××××.org>:
6 >
7 > > - I remember the last big crisis 'Robbins vs. McCreesh', valuable
8 > > developers leaving Gentoo as a result... and in my opinion
9 > > Council/devrel were not able to handle it, the only outcome I noticed
10 > > was toothless CoC - that didn't seem like viable management to me.
11 >
12 > That's the outcome of being structured in loose projects...it has
13 > advantages and disadvantages.
14
15 I am not sure I am quite following you. Why do you think it is because
16 of "being structured in loose projects"?
17 I might be missing something but I got the feeling that some very
18 experienced developers left because they could not stand McCreesh's
19 personal attacks, they felt that they deserved more protection from
20 devrel and they didn't get any so they probably felt somehow betrayed,
21 and they had no other way how to solve the conflict.
22
23 I don't know if it's possible in Gentoo but generally I think when
24 there is a conflict it's good to give angry people an opportunity to
25 compete inside the project. You know what I mean? I am angry at you
26 and I can't stand you but I am not going to leave the project because
27 I have some way how to do the same thing you do but much better... so
28 I can give it to you bastard, I keep contributing to the project and
29 everyone is happy;-) Do you think Gentoo's organization is tailored to
30 support this kind of 'a solution'? I am not competent to asses this.
31
32 If I remember correctly I even saw proposals like "both sides of a
33 conflict should get banned for 24 hours/week to calm down" - this
34 would be so unfair! You get attacked and instead of getting helped you
35 get banned so you can't even defend yourself? I am sorry I have to say
36 this but as I remember the situation devrel showed total lack of
37 ability to handle conflicts. Hopefully it has changed since that time
38 - the 'McCreesh case' and devrel's reaction made me so disappointed
39 that I stopped reading MLs for a while.
42 > Problem is that people come to me and tell "Shit is not working, you
43 > broke it you bastard. Fix it." Does not make me move faster. I don't
44 > break something on purpose and try to fix it as fast as I can, swearing
45 > does not help.
46
47 I think that sometimes we users don't realize how hard your work is
48 and how devoted you have to be. That's why I so admire developers.
49
50 Jan.
51 --
52 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list