From: Jan Bilek <clonolu@×××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:58:25
On Feb 4, 2008 10:34 AM, Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o> wrote:
> [...]
I am not sure I am quite following you. Why do you think it is because of "being structured in loose projects"? I might be missing something but I got the feeling that some very experienced developers left because they could not stand McCreesh's personal attacks, they felt that they deserved more protection from devrel and they didn't get any so they probably felt somehow betrayed, and they had no other way how to solve the conflict. I don't know if it's possible in Gentoo but generally I think when there is a conflict it's good to give angry people an opportunity to compete inside the project. You know what I mean? I am angry at you and I can't stand you but I am not going to leave the project because I have some way how to do the same thing you do but much better... so I can give it to you bastard, I keep contributing to the project and everyone is happy;-) Do you think Gentoo's organization is tailored to support this kind of 'a solution'? I am not competent to asses this. If I remember correctly I even saw proposals like "both sides of a conflict should get banned for 24 hours/week to calm down" - this would be so unfair! You get attacked and instead of getting helped you get banned so you can't even defend yourself? I am sorry I have to say this but as I remember the situation devrel showed total lack of ability to handle conflicts. Hopefully it has changed since that time - the 'McCreesh case' and devrel's reaction made me so disappointed that I stopped reading MLs for a while.