From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: 'gentoo-nfp' <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:08:12
1 Combining emails from antarus and wltjr as in some ways they seem to share the same view, focus on the team that needs it and don’t split focus, but I'll hit antarus' other points first.
2
3 > c) Limitations of Power. This bylaw limits the damage done by one
4 > person. It is SOXish; it takes two to tango; two people to be
5 > malicious in some use cases.
6
7 Iirc, no one person can take action without some kind of peer vote?
8
9 > d) Past performance does not indicate future returns. Just because we
10 > have not had troubles in the past with this does not mean we will not
11 > have trouble with it in the future.
12
13 So instead of looking at Gentoo's past performance we'll look at the 'what ifs' that have never happened and we've no reason to think they'll ever happen? I feel like I am putting more trust in our developers/community than others are.
14
15 > Your use case is invalid in the general case as funding requests of
16 > any kind require majority approval by the board of trustees per:
17 > http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/requesting-funds.xml
18
19 This actually furthers my case. "Any Foundation money spent needs to be approved by a majority vote from the Board of Trustees." So one person cannot do it alone so where is the conflict? The Foundation/Trustees have been around for I believe four years, in that time only once has a person held over lapping roles. Why do we think suddenly every person on Trustee may overlap? It seems so very unlikely. And even if they did, that means that we voted for them to fill the role, so do we now not even trust ourselves to cast the right vote?
20
21 > > What is the reasoning that a person cannot serve on the technical
22 > > team and the legal team?
23 >
24 > If something happens to said person. The loss is greater. If the drop the
25 > ball, the loss is greater.
26 >
27 > There is no reason anyone should have such broad focus. They pick an area
28 > focus on it and work on it. That people take on/eat to much, then fail to
29 > chew it is not ok. Thus this is designed to prevent that from occurring.
30 >
31 > Just like Jacob should have had backup. There should be more recruiters,
32 > more people on QA, etc. Until ever little detail of every job is being
33 > done to perfection. There is no need to stack titles, or widen focus. We
34 > need more narrow focus and doing a better job all around.
35
36 So do we also restrict people from being on more than one team? What if one team is deemed to be 'not doing well', should they resign from other teams to focus on that one team, or resign from that team so it doesn’t drag down their efforts on other teams?
39 Kind regards,
40 Christina Fullam
41 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations