From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:33:39
1 On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from
3 > distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form.
4 > The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself.
5 >
6 > If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games
7 > Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a
8 > specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct?
9
10 Yes
11
12 > Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the
13 > developers? Our mirrors?
14
15 Redistribution by the Gentoo Project represented by the Gentoo Foundation.
16
17 > What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can
18 > the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux?
19
20 No, Gentoo developers are no employees of any kind and are not bound to any
21 agreement (except perhaps for the transfer of rights for contributed Work
22 but that's still under discussion).
23
24 The Foundation cannot engage any legal contract on the behalf of any Gentoo
25 developer, not even on behalf of its members or board members.
26
27 Wkr,
28 Sven Vermeulen
31 Documentation project leader