From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 05:30:28
1 Do you really have to ask the question why we should be tax-exempt?
2
3 On September 6, 2018 11:52:55 AM EDT, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
5 >wrote:
6 >
7 >> Hi!
8 >>
9 >> On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 08:47:05 -0400 Alec Warner wrote:
10 >> > Dear Gentoo Community,
11 >> >
12 >> > I have recently become the President of the Gentoo Foundation Inc.
13 >The
14 >> > Foundation's documents[0] provide fairly terse guidance on how the
15 >> > Foundation is to be operated. The Foundation currently provides
16 >funding
17 >> for
18 >> > Gentoo Infrastructure, and very little else. Part of my job as
19 >President
20 >> is
21 >> > to determine what additional activities the Foundation can pursue
22 >(if
23 >> any);
24 >> > and to determine how the Foundation can improve Gentoo by investing
25 >in
26 >> > infrastructure, while still meeting the spirit of the other
27 >restrictions
28 >> on
29 >> > Foundation activities[1]. So community, how do you think the
30 >Foundation
31 >> can
32 >> > assist the development of Gentoo?
33 >> >
34 >> > Some ideas might be:
35 >> > - Host a Gentoo Conference.
36 >> > - Host a bug-bounty program.
37 >> > - Fund talks about Gentoo development activities at industry
38 >> conferences.
39 >> > - Invest significantly in Infrastructure spending to fund
40 >ambitious
41 >> > projects.
42 >>
43 >> First and foremost the Foundation should focus on its primary
44 >> goal: funding, its financial accounting and becoming non for profit
45 >> organization.
48 >> Current state of the Foundation's bookkeeping is concerning: we have
49 >> not seen final annual financial report for years. Good news that
50 >> finally preliminary reports are published (thanks robbat2!), but
51 >> they are not final and there is still a lot of work to do.
52 >>
53 >> Tax status is unclear (it was discussed earlier that the Foundation
54 >> may have to pay quite sufficient tax as a penalty for lousy
55 >> accounting).
56 >>
57 >> And the Foundation still lacks non for profit official status.
58 >>
59 >> Lack of human resources is a long-standing problem for the
60 >> Foundation and embracing more goals while failing with the critical
61 >> ones is an unwise idea.
65 >First off, I 100% agree we should do the financial accounting. Consider
66 >it
67 >my first priority.
68 >
69 >Regarding the funding; the main thrust of this thread is basically
70 >deciding
71 >how much funding is enough; We have a bunch of money. Its expected that
72 >post-finance cleanup we will still have money leftover; and we don't
73 >spend
74 >very much money today. So given that, what could we spend money on? How
75 >could the foundation put its funds to good use in its mission? That is
76 >the
77 >question I'm trying to get input on; I think the answer in many ways
78 >impacts what kind of financial plan we have for the Foundation in 2019
79 >/
80 >2020.
81 >
82 >The foundation is already a not-for-profit organization. Did you
83 >perhaps
84 >mean a *tax-exempt* not for profit, and if so, why do you think we
85 >should
86 >be a tax-exempt nonprofit?
87 >
88 >-A
92 >> Best regards,
93 >> Andrew Savchenko
94 >> Best regards,
95 >> Andrew Savchenko
99 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.