From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Status meeting --- 30 March
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:49:09
1 On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:15 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
3 >
4 > > 2. I have looked at the proposed bylaws on our web site and as revised
5 > > on 2007-01-22. Except for the change from NM to Delaware, the proposed
6 > > revision is closer to what we actually are. That said, let me raise a
7 > > few points.
8 > > a. The (2007-01-22) proposal is quite detailed. Do we want the
9 > > initial bylaws to go into such specificity? This is probably not a big
10 > > deal one way or the other, because the bylaws are easily amended. And
11 > > NM does not care what is in them as long as they do not conflict with NM
12 > > law.
13 > Is the plan to move to an umbrella organisation asap? (It was mentioned
14 > briefly in the log.) If there's a chance that the Foundation will be
15 > continuing, then best to get them right imo, if they require voting on by
16 > the membership as Mr Jackson raised.
17 >
18 > > b. Both sets of bylaws call out both a Board (of Trustees) and
19 > > officers of the Foundation chosen by the trustees. At the moment, we
20 > > (the trustees) are acting as the officers of the Foundation (because we
21 > > chose ourselves if for no other reason). We need to think through how
22 > > this works and what structure we want.
23 > Officers are people appointed on a professional basis, eg a lawyer, acct or
24 > admin, or more general?
27 Officers are the people who actually run the corporation (Foundation) on
28 a day-to-day basis. Take your favorite company and think President/CEO,
29 Comptroller, etc. Generally, a board doesn't do all that much, isn't
30 paid much, and so on. Board members are generally required to be
31 members of the Corporation (like stockholders) and the officers of the
32 corporation serve at the pleasure of the board and have whatever
33 qualifications the board members feel are appropriate. Example, related
34 to our own situation: Remember that a while back drobbins offered to
35 serve as president of the Foundation. This would have made him an
36 officer of the Foundation but not a board member (trustee).
37
38 Currently, the trustees are serving in dual capacity (which is fine),
39 and I am just bringing that out explicitly.
40
41 > > c. Trustees must be members of the Foundation, but Officers of the
42 > > Foundation need only to be alive (in order to carry out their duties).
43 > > Right now that is probably OK because we have neatly resolved the issue
44 > > for the moment (see point b).
45 > >
46 > As you mentioned in the meeting, the membership detail doesn't seem to match
47 > the existing practice.
50 In the 2007-01-22 revision, Article IV (Members) tries to reflect what
51 we say we do, but it's a bit unclear on a couple points. And I think
52 current practice (and what we advertise) has overtaken § 4.3. Also, I
53 don't like § 4.9 as it stands. (Disciplinary action has nothing to do
54 with whether or not someone who has ever been a member should remain a
55 member with some narrow exceptions. I prefer that involuntary
56 termination of membership should require Board action. As it stands,
57 membership status depends too much on Council/devrel/userrel, and
58 membership status in the Foundation is really a Board matter, not a
59 Council matter. To become a member, you must be a developer for a year
60 or be voted in by the Board. But after that, Board controls, not
61 Council.)
62
63 OK, I'm opening up that little discussion now, I guess, but the Bylaws
64 are ultimately approved by the Trustees, and Bylaws spell out membership
65 requirements.
66
67 > > Because everything we do (in NM or anywhere else) keys off the bylaws, I
68 > > lean toward a recommendation as follows: After a quick scrub for sanity
69 > > and correctness, adapt the 2007-01-22 revision, with an eye to amending
70 > > it as experience warrants. And I know Roy has some ideas along these
71 > > lines which might belong in the bylaws or not. My inclination is to
72 > > pursue his ideas by other means because the bylaws should be rather
73 > > brief and general: The bylaws are the rules explaining who we are and
74 > > how we work procedurally. Thus, it is appropriate and necessary for the
75 > > bylaws to explain who the members are and how we vote, but inappropriate
76 > > for them to call out the President's salary. The bylaws are an enabling
77 > > document, giving the Trustees authority to act.
78 > >
79 > I agree they should be minimal.
80 >
81 > Thanks to all of you for taking this critical work on. I'm sure it'll be
82 > more fun in a few months ;p
83
84 It's sort of fun already, in a perverse way. :)
85
86 Regards,
87 --
88 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
89 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)