From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:21:35
"Jan Bilek" <clonolu-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@××××××××××××.org>:

> I am not a developer, just user, but I hope I can dare to express my > opinion
Of course you can. Don't ask those silly questions, don't be afraid of someone who has a developer badge on. This mailing list is not read-only for non-devs, so express it. (Though well-informed opinions are necessary.) Most issues were addressed by other people already with whom I agree, so only one comment.
> Competition of smaller projects led by developers who talk when they > need to instead of cathedral led by official institutions going > through official (and less and less efficient) ways. Smaller teams who > communicate on daily basis so they don't need summaries and reports.
Actually this is the current state of affairs, in my opinion. For example I work in the Emacs team (2 people in total), which is part of the Lisp project (5 in total). We have our mailing list, we have three overlays in total and move ebuilds to the official tree when needed. Communication happens ad-hoc on IRC, by mail or instant messaging, whatever is needed and how pressing it is. We don't do regular reports or meetings, but I try to get out important news by Planet Gentoo or the GWN/GMN so people know about it. Many teams work like that and that can result in a problem. You are in your small group, follow discussions and know about the progess made. But any outstander has to guess what happened if there is no such thing as documentation of upgrade paths, issues or important changes. That's what Gentoo suffere/d from, see the front page updates that halted for more than three months. Release engineering has a hard time to get teams moving to fix bugs (some), but I think this will improve by the more open way how releases are handled now.
Thanks for writing. V-Li -- Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>