From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:03:57
1 On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:55 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Thats more about being able to get Gentoo vendor certified. Some
4 > corporations will only go with software the vendor supports or is
5 > certified against.
6
7 I think that what you're getting at is that Gentoo isn't properly
8 organized to be like Canonical.
9
10 I agree.
11
12 I think we need to be realistic about what Gentoo is. I'd love to see
13 Gentoo grow. I'd love to see Gentoo better able to fund its
14 development. However, right now that is going to basically consist of
15 having better access to hardware. I think it is unlikely that we are
16 going to be in a place where a substantial number of devs are paid
17 full-time to be devs.
18
19 The thing Canonical has that Gentoo doesn't is an infusion of capital.
20 That automatically comes with strong central governance, since nobody
21 invests millions of dollars without making sure it is being
22 well-spent.
23
24 So, while I agree that you're describing an ideal-state (sort of -
25 there might be many contributors to Gentoo who wouldn't want to be
26 part of a "Canonical"), I think we need to aim first for continual
27 improvement even if it falls short of perfection.
28
29 I do think that directors/trustees/etc are important to have, even if
30 perhaps they are not a legal necessity. Gentoo is community-driven,
31 so even if dictatorship is more "efficient" it probably isn't a good
32 fit. Perhaps that means we won't sell as many units as Canonical, and
33 perhaps we just need to live with that.
34
35 As Mike said, when interest is limited you have to do what you can
36 with what you have. Sure, we can argue about whether it is "good
37 enough" but that doesn't change anything. If elected I expect to have
38 to get my hands dirty, and I don't mind doing so (was just reading up
39 on NM/IRS law last night). Many hands make for light work, but we
40 don't have many hands, so we just need to do what we can with what we
41 have. In the end we aren't collecting a paycheck and can't afford to
42 start writing them.
43
44 Having been involved with other types of non-profits (churches) I do
45 want to also caution about something that can happen when well-meaning
46 people try to solve these kinds of issues in the wrong way. I've been
47 in churches that were highly volunteer-driven, and they had enough
48 labor to get the job done. Then I've seen them become successful, get
49 money, start paying professionals, and start having serious problems.
50 When the balance starts shifting towards paid labor, then volunteers
51 can feel left out (they aren't around for the Tues 10AM planning
52 meeting or whatever), and they can move on to other places where they
53 feel like they have more impact. That leads to more demand for paid
54 staff, and now the budget is taxed. Your big volunteers tend to
55 correlate with your big financial contributors (they're the ones who
56 care), and as they leave your budget is attacked on both ends. The
57 result can be a really big mess.
58
59 This doesn't happen to a business that started out top-down and grew
60 top-down with a big budget organically. The two types of operations
61 are fundamentally different in makeup and dynamics even if an org
62 chart for either can look similar.
63
64 There is no reason that something similar couldn't happen here.
65 Gentoo is a community-driven distro, and we need to keep the community
66 healthy above all else.
67
68 Rich