From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Council=CTO or Executive Board? [was: Re: Re: Re: Foundation reinstated]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 23:55:45
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > Put it like this, Council answers to devs. Foundation answers to > community. At some point the council should answer to the Foundation as > well. Otherwise the community has no voice, only developers. >
I think we need to be careful here. I wouldn't say that the Foundation answers to the community or represents the community. Rather, I'd say that the Foundation serves the community. The community is our mission - not our source of authority. The reason this concerns me is that we really need to avoid an us-against-them mentality. The devs are all volunteers and we can't really afford to have those who aren't volunteering perceived as issuing orders to those who are volunteering. I think the role of the Foundation is to inspire the devs to do what is right - not to order them to do so. I think most devs have respect for the effort the trustees are putting into getting the Foundation running and what it stands for. As a result, I think that the Foundation will be heard when it speaks, at least more so than a bunch of end-users who are perceived as always asking for more but never giving back. (I use the word "perceived" as I know the reality is more complex.)
> Although the Foundation, board/officers, will never dictate to the > council/CTO on technical matters. At best only suggest, based on the > will of the community, vendors, or etc. What the council does from > there, is up to them. As it is now. Because after all they know what is > best technically, and that's their call to make in the end. >
++ I couldn't have said this better. There have been those who have recently been looking towards the trustees to essentially make the devs fall into line, and I think that what you've said emphasizes the balance and care required to make the distro a success. -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list