From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:09:28
1 On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 16:33, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > the NFP is to solve a long time issue of the constant rumors that the
3 > managers are going to run off with Gentoo and turn it into a profitable
4 > business. a "Not For Profit" would prevent that (as the name suggests).
5
6 While I don't believe that the managers really could *run off* with
7 Gentoo in practice, I think a NFP would be beneficial. Many times I
8 hear of how Gentoo is "owned by Daniel" from people who are not very
9 familiar with Gentoo. I have even been asked "What keeps Daniel from
10 simply taking everything you've done and firing you, keeping the money
11 for himself?"
12
13 Many people don't understand exactly how Gentoo works. Perception is a
14 very big thing in the IT world, much more so than we sometimes want it
15 to be. Having a NFP essentially says, there's a body that governs the
16 general direction of Gentoo and is accountable to the Gentoo community.
17
18 > This problem seems to be a much bigger problem as the lack of funding..
19 > ~ because, although a lot of people aren't as vocal as others, many
20 > people want to leave if this is not done. whereas they will continue to
21 > stick around without funding much like they do now.
22
23 I because a developer for Gentoo because I like to play games on Linux.
24 I have a job. I don't expect to make money from Gentoo. Even if we
25 were to get paid, it wouldn't be livable by most standards. This is
26 supposed to be fun, guys. Having a governing body to take care of the
27 boring non-development stuff like funding for making commercial-quality
28 CDs for our users and resolving disputes is a great idea. Having one
29 that is classified as a NFP is even better, as it keeps everyone honest
30 since there's not a fortune to be made following that route. Greed can
31 kill a good thing quicker than anything. We definitely do not want to
32 fall victim to that.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Developer, Gentoo Linux
37 Games Team