From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] CDs and t-shirts
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:46:50
> Why not just have Gentoo NFP employ you in your cd-burning, > t-shirt-printing capacity, and have the NFP pay you a wage..?
Eventually, I think it would be great for the NFP to run the Store, and pay someone a wage to fulfill t-shirt and CD orders. Why I'm not arranging that now is because it adds a lot more complexity (especially for me personally) to the NFP transition, which I'm intentionally trying to keep as simple as possible. Like I said, if anyone is interested in making a serious commitment to actually running the Store under the NFP, I'm willing to eventually transfer it to the NFP. Since I'm not planning to make a career out of CD and t-shirt sales, I'd rather not take the time and expense to make some kind of arrangment between the NFP and me right now. But let's get the NFP set up first. Until we (me/NFP) are ready to make a Store transition, I will continue running the Store, and the simplest way to do this is to just allow things to continue as they have. What I expect will happen is that the NFP will find much better sources of funding, and then they really won't be interested in the store. Then maybe some Gentoo developers can take it over, or run it for the NFP when I have something else to move on to. The Store needs to continue running to pay about $7-$10K USD of upcoming legal costs. It will pay for the NFP's initial legal expenses as well as all expenses associated with its application for 501(c)(6) status. I'm looking to get the NFP set up next week if possible. It will take about six months to receive 501(c)(6) status from the time it is applied for. Hope that helps, Daniel -- gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list