From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
Cc: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 02:31:33
1 On 5/24/08, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >
4 > > For more of a fun thread. I am just going to list a bunch of ideas I
5 > > personally have had wrt to what Gentoo could do with money. They are not
6 > > listed in any particular order.
7 > >
8 > > 1. Provide all devs with a base development system
11 > Oh cool, wait no. There is a direct adopt-a-dev stuff people could think
12 > more personal and fun.
15 > > 2. Sponsors devs to travel to events, seminars, summits, etc
16 > > 3. Sponsors devs for educational purposes, certifications, college,
17 > > trade courses, etc
18 > > 4. Hold an annual Gentoo Conference for all developers and users
19 > > 5. Pay for infra services
20 > > 6. Buy bitchen hardware and toys for infra
21 > >
22 > > 8. Increase schwag and freebie stuff to give away at events
23 > > 9. Sponsors development via Gentoo summer of code, or fall,
24 > > winter, or spring summer of code.
25 >
26 > meh, non core stuff sponsors usually provide.
29 > > 7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs,
30 > > big iron, etc)
33 > Usually certification happens from the other side...
36 > > 10. Donate/contribute to other projects and charities
39 > We donate already patches, space and so on.
42 > > 11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo
43 > > being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc )
46 > Depressing.
49 > > 12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device
50 > > drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those
51 > > supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
54 > Usually hw is provided by the people making it for that purpose.
57 > > 13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make
58 > > ebuilds available for them.
61 > AHAHAHA no, the commercial app corp could provide us with a license if they
62 > want us to package their stuff.
65 > > 14. Provide FREE release media
68 > Why?
71 > > 15. Marketing and promotional materials ( flyers to hand out at
72 > > events, banners, booth displays, etc )
75 > The best advertising is the word passing from happy users to other people
76 > willing to try it.
77 >
78 > lu
79
80 So you seemed quick to throw out a lot of those ideas...Assuming we
81 had money what would you spend it on; or are you just against the
82 premise of us having money at all?
85 > --
86 >
87 > Luca Barbato