From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:05:55
On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:50 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
> > I am fully with you on involving users; it was heartening to read that we > already have 2 lawyers standing as well.
Do we have any certified accountants? Also I wonder what area of law the specialize in. Since lawyers are like doctors in that regard, but kinda worse. Hardly any family lawyers that would cover it all. Even beyond that, say we do have lawyers specializing in the areas of law that would apply to our legal needs. Would they really want to spend, days, weeks, months, years working on a trial if we are faced with some sort of legal action? All for no pay, and travel likely required. What happens if a trial starts and board changes over? What if we lose one or both of our lawyers?
> I would still rather know that > certain things, eg accounts and filings, were in the hands of someone who was > contractually obliged to carry those out.
Beyond contractual obligation. There is legal responsibility and liability. Accountants take on the same responsibility and liability in filing returns for their clients. Would our board of trustees really want to be individually liable and putting their name on a return or other legal filing? Which if done improperly could come back on the signing individual. What happens during an audit? Would past board members return. Or want to be liable for years beyond their terms. I think it's kinda naive and unrealistic long term to continue to do these things in house. More so when we can get the needed services externally for next to nothing. Either way, decisions still have to be made, and the board will still have to do that. It's just the final action, and liability that will be passed on. Also IMHO makes changing of the guard much easier. Not to mention allows focus on other areas of the foundations mission. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Gentoo/amd64/Java