From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] The Foundation is a business, just NPO was -> What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 04:28:23
On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 20:56 -0700, Ned Ludd wrote:
> > You seem to want to run the foundation like a business.\
Well unfortunately the foundation is a business. Like it or not, just a non-profit business. You really can't informally run a foundation. I don't think it was ever meant to be a grass roots foundation. I think many have had their own views of the foundation. But I think Daniel had an initial concept, and that wasn't a lame duck foundation. Then again, I don't 100% agree with all concepts there, but something in between, sure.
> Please stop > that. You are crossing the line where Gentoo should have something like > it's own Corp vs Foundation worrying about money.
Even if you had a corp and foundation. The foundation would still need to be run like a business. Just because it's a NPO and/or you call it a foundation doesn't mean you throw operating as a business out the window. As soon as you file papers, and establish a legal entity. You have created a business and to an extent it should be operated and run like one. Just not one focused on profit, one focused on other things :) Having a corp and foundation, would just be two business to run. Now Gentoo, like many other foundations. Won't have "Bosses" per say. I think many people are to worried about the power aspects. When really these ideas are nothing of the sort. In fact any concerns wrt to power can easily be addressed in the bylaws. As they should be. It has been said that things like GLEP 39, shouldn't be a GLEP but some sort of a more formal document. I am not opposed to writing aspects of the council into the foundations Bylaws. It's part of the foundation in the sense that both are attached to Gentoo. Not part wrt to power, like the foundation dictates to council. To clarify the councils purpose, stipulations, slacker rules, etc. Those things should be declared in a more formal document. As others have stated. I can't think of a better place than the bylaws. In the bylaws we can easily specify that the council has veto, and/or complete power over the board and officers. So anyone worried about such things. Can move past those concerns now :) -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation