From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: Re: Foundation Nomination - Daniel Robbins
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:25:20
1 On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 08:04 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > You amaze me: you lower the tone of the discourse with your belligerent
3 > comments, state I am "running my mouth as usual" and then wish to accuse me
4 > of "ad hominem."
5
6 My apologies. I took your response as a personal attack, not as an
7 observation of the past trustees, as a whole. You're correct. We
8 failed pretty miserably.
9
10 > I took it as read that no-one was trying to state that the previous Trustees
11 > had stepped up to the plate. Anyone who's followed the history will have read
12 > many assertions about it not being something the devs were good at, nor would
13 > we want them to be. If you're maintaining that all was well with the
14 > Foundation, it's an interesting point-of-view.
15
16 I never said all was well. In fact, I've said quite the opposite for a
17 while now. At any rate, I apologize again for reading your "you" and
18 "your" as personal to me, since you were responding to me.
19
20 > > No, it really doesn't take any managerial capability. The trustees are
21 > > *not* managers.
22 > So let's get this straight: Council and devs deal with the technical side
23 > (let's call this the software development) and Trustees deal with the
24 > "staff/financial/legal" matters. Anywhere else that would be called
25 > "organisational" matters, which would need managerial oversight.
26
27 The trustees have not managed the staff. Originally, the "staff" all
28 fell under Daniel. When the original metastructure (managers, prior to
29 Council, and Foundation) was created, the staff positions fell under the
30 managers. In the Council scheme, they still fell under the Council.
31 They likely *should* fall under the trustees, but they currently do not.
32 As such, they don't manage anything but money/paperwork.
33
34 > > They do not tell anyone what to do, nor do they lead
35 > > the project in any way. The trustees are paper pushers. I'm sorry if
36 > > you don't realize that, but there's only so many times that it can be
37 > > said before it becomes obvious that you're either ignoring it, or too
38 > > dense to comprehend it. I'll let you decide which.
39 > >
40 > See below, but thanks for showing the way to keep things civil. Just as
41 > feedback to improve this: if you had stopped at "paper pushers," perhaps
42 > adding "That's all there is to it," it would have made the point without
43 > lowering the tone.
44
45 Indeed. As I've said, I read things wrong and got overly defensive. My
46 apologies. I have stated that point several times, though, and it does
47 get a bit old repeating it. I'll try to watch what I say a bit better
48 and try not to take people talking trash about past trustees personally.
49 One thing that many people forget is that while the "current" trustees
50 (including myself and the others that were trustees with me) dropped the
51 ball, so did all the previous ones. We were left with quite a big mess
52 to clean up and we all dropped the ball as soon as we started hitting
53 difficulty.
54
55 > > Yes, because his organizational skills at organizing FOSDEM for Gentoo
56 > > was excellent. In fact, his skills were so good that several developers
57 > > got left in the cold for over an hour, waiting for transportation that
58 > > Patrick had promised and which never arrived. How about the demo
59 > > machines that Patrick lined up for the show? Oh, that's right, SeJo,
60 > > pvdabeel, and myself had to do that the day of the show because Patrick
61 > > didn't do anything.
62 > >
63 > Sounds like most of the chief executives I've come across, who are normally
64 > reliant on PAs to actually arrange anything. Thank you however for backing up
65 > your assertion with reasons: it would have been nice if you had stated this
66 > in the first place, instead of just rolling your eyes and expecting us to
67 > accept that ebuild developing had anything to do with the Trustees.
68
69 I had assumed that it was fairly common knowledge. There was a lot of
70 talk about it, but now that I think about it, that discussion might have
71 been more private than I recall. I'll try to back up my statements more
72 when making them. I sometimes forget that not everyone knows the same
73 information that I do and tend to take for granted that people are as
74 aware of things as I am within Gentoo.
75
76 > He's still much better at motivation and empathising with his colleagues. I've
77 > seen him help and motivate loads of people, including some of your
78 > developers.
79
80 Sure, I've not said anything about his motivational skills. All I spoke
81 of was his organizational/management skills. Many of us don't feel that
82 Patrick has the ability to do these things. He has good ideas, he just
83 doesn't follow through/implement them well.
84
85 > > Now, you can call it a personal attack if you wish. I hope that you
86 > > realize that I don't care what your opinion is on pretty much anything.
87 > > While I've been working to improve Gentoo, you sit on the sidelines and
88 > > tell everybody how poorly they're doing.
89 > I think you have me confused with someone else.
90
91 Probably...
92
93 > No, it was the "*rolls eyes*" and a snipe about someone's history as a
94 > developer disqualifying them as a Trustee, with no *facts* given which made
95 > it sound like a personal attack. Thank you for finally providing some attempt
96 > at reasoning, along with your usual ad hominem towards me.
97
98 Yeah, I should have said so sooner. Also, I never said he would be
99 disqualified or ineligible. Patrick is certainly eligible, and if he
100 decides to run and wins, then more power to him. I simply wanted to
101 point out that Patrick has a track record within Gentoo that *I* think
102 would make him a poor candidate for trustee. Of course, you also don't
103 see me running for the trustees, either. I don't think that *I* would
104 make a good candidate, either.
105
106 > > Sure, Patrick has contributed quite a bit via his gentooexperimental
107 > > project, but that doesn't change the *facts* of his time as a Gentoo
108 > > developer.
109 > >
110 > I find it more cogent that he has contributed and maintained that
111 > infrastructure for innovation, as well as the huge amount of QA for the tree,
112 > as something other than a Gentoo dev. The last couple of months has shown
113 > that, while Gentoo is fine as a piece of software, as a project there is a
114 > serious disconnect with its user base. So it seems that where the project
115 > needs new thinking is not really on the technical development side.
116
117 No, it needs help in many of its staff positions, such as
118 Infrastructure, PR, Events, etc. to help promote Gentoo. This doesn't
119 have to be the trustees job, nor should it be. The trustees are there
120 to be liaisons between the legal (pro bono lawyers, paid lawyers, SFLC,
121 whatever), the IRS (taxes, accountants?), and the Gentoo Foundation
122 membership. Unlike the Council, the trustees aren't really *supposed*
123 to *lead* anyone, anywhere. The trustees are *supposed* to perform the
124 will of the general Foundation membership. Only in very rare cases
125 would I ever see the trustees going against the general consensus, and
126 that would be a case where the general consensus doesn't match US law.
127
128 > Perhaps the Trustees should have a wider remit than the one you envision as
129 > paper-pushers with a narrow *legal* remit. Although you mention staff
130 > relations, and financial matters as well, you seem to be unaware overseeing
131 > this requires managerial capability, along the lines drobbins has mentioned.
132
133 Perhaps, but they do not now.
134
135 > It's not about being a lawyer, an accountant or an HR person: it's about
136 > managing them, with an overview of all three, and the impact it has on the
137 > people who make the product.
138
139 Currently, the trustees don't fill those roles.
140
141 > Patrick, like drobbins, understands the developer culture. While the
142 > discussion may be moot, in that I don't think he wants to stand, the topics
143 > we have discussed are relevant: should the Trustees be strictly confined to
144 > dealing with legal matters? If so, who is to deal with the other areas, given
145 > that developers have enough to do maintaining the software?
146
147 It has been left to the Council to run "the distribution" which tends to
148 cover all aspects of managing and maintaining the distribution.
149 Personally, I'd *love* to see the trustees/Foundation take over *all* of
150 the more organizational roles, but that would be something for the new
151 trustees and the Council to decide.
154 Chris Gianelloni
155 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
156 Games Developer