From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Board of trustees
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:43:18
On Monday 26 April 2004 15:39, Corey Shields wrote:

> No reason to get defensive here. Yes, I feel that setting up the NFP > quickly is the best thing to do, but I guess I was wrong in assuming that > people assigned to the board would know what that means and what the board > will do, for all I know right now it's just a name. I don't think that > coming up with a responsability list for the board should delay the NFP > creation much, maybe a couple of hours or so. I was thinking that maybe > this was already done and so I was asking. You mention some of the > qualifications for the board below, and that they will have a > responsability in the financial area, but that's about it. Will the board > as a whole replace you and your responsabilities outright? In what > capacities will the board work as opposed to managers? If these kinds of > questions are not answered in the creation of the NFP board, then I retract > my original statement that the NFP creation needs to come first. > > I understand that EVERYTHING can't be laid out beforehand and that many > things will smooth out with time, but there has to be a little thought put > into some issues beforehand.
Actually, some people have allready thought about this. Why do you think that the NFP was delayed as it was. Please understand that this kind of criticism is for Daniel almost like a personal attack. Even if it comes from people who have not thought everything trough. Gentoo has become a very big problem and indeed much pressure has been applied upon Daniel's shoulders. What has been a fun hobby during evening hours for some, has been a day-and-night job for Daniel. One that asked at least 80 hours per week, and that on a lousy pay. At this point have some faith that everything will be figured out. We got this far, we will not let it go to waste.
> Ok, so where is the line drawn between issues that the board needs to > handle and issues that managers will handle? Sure, right now there's not > much difference because most (if not all) board members are managers as > well. But, 2 years down the road, that may not be the case. I hope that > for the sake of burnout and efficiency that it's not.
To draw the fine line in this will be the job of the board. Yes this will be a whole new idea, but it will work out. Also look at sven's email for more explanation. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net