From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:34:08
1 On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:11:53AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > So basically, if I wanted to start working with some company to allow us
3 > to redistribute their IP in an official manner, as explained above, then
4 > I could do so, but the trustees would have to approve it, since it would
5 > be the Foundation that is the legal entity which actually receives the
6 > license, correct?
7
8 See it as a license that the company writes for the Gentoo Foundation wrt
9 the copying and redistribution of that particular IP. The trustees need to
10 implicitly accept the license (the same way you need to accept the GPL
11 license on GPL software before you use the software).
12
13 > I have been working on some new GameCD stuff, as you all are probably
14 > aware of by now. Well, I am getting to the point where I am ready to
15 > distribute it. The first GameCD that I wish to produce is an Unreal
16 > Tournament 2004 Demo GameCD. This was actually requested by Daniel
17 > Vogel and Ryan Gordon, both of Epic. Of course, this was requested way
18 > back in February of 2004, so I don't know if the offer still stands.
19 > Basically, I was going to contact Epic and see if they would grant us a
20 > license to redistribute the game in a modified (installed) form. I
21 > would also want permission to use their logos for the game and
22 > trademarks.
23 >
24 > Would anyone have any objections to me beginning to pursue this?
25
26 Surely not :)
27
28 Wkr,