From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation bank account
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:15:49
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > We can give them a shot, but most banks will likely need to operate in > the state we are registered in. You can't conduct business in a state, > without a business license and other things. I believe that applies to a > bank as well. Since a bank would be opening an account for a New Mexico > entity. That would constitute them doing business in New Mexico. > > It's not the same as a customer being remote, and say the account being > created and existing in Maryland. Otherwise my local bank, or any bank > really could choose to open a remote account. > > That said it can't hurt to give them a call. But I doubt we can proceed > with them because of the above.
Yeah, I figure there are probably gotchas involved. My company is registered next door in VA, though, so they probably cut us some slack. I don't know if we have a specific business license for MD (though we operate a couple of lockboxes in MD). But I figured there was no harm in naming them. Ya never know. -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic