From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation Periodic Activities Tracker
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:59:35
It has been fairly obvious that for a number of years one of the
biggest problem the Foundation struggles with is remembering to take
care of things that need to be taken care of on some kind of periodic
interval.  We forget to file and let our foundation become inactive.
We forget to renew trademarks until the last minute, and so on.

To help improve this I'm going to try to lead efforts to create a
simple and effective periodic activity tracking checklist.  The heart
of the checklist is just going to be a table of activities that need
to happen periodically.  Attributes I plan to track include:

Name of Activity
Who is responsible (by role) - nothing to stop people from teaming up,
but one role should be the lead for anything
Frequency of Activity (ie annually, quarterly, etc)
Whether activity is legally required (vs nice-to-have)
Last time activity was completed
Next time activity is due
Link to details page

Then for each activity we can have a details page (or anchors in a
single page) that goes into the gory details.  I'd expect this to
include:
Links to appropriate laws/etc.
Recommended process to follow.
Links to helpful tools/forms/etc.
Where to find the information necessary to complete the step.
Where we store the official copy of the resulting deliverable.
Where interested users can find the deliverable (perhaps redacted), if
applicable.  I'd encourage as much transparency as possible (many
eyeballs/etc).
Links to bugs tracking past/current activity completions.

I'd just put all of this stuff on the Gentoo website in GuideXML/etc.
That is, unless somebody is aware of a tool we could leverage which
would better accomplish this while keeping things simple and being
aligned with our values.

Feel free to chime in here with suggestions for design
improvements/etc, but my intent is to get started creating and not
wait until things are perfect.  Any system of organization is going to
be better than what we already have.  Once the structure is in place
anybody can feel free to suggest additions to the list, and this
should be pretty easy to distribute among volunteers (even those
without commit access if you can modify a template xml file and submit
a bug).

Rich