From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:17:31
1 > The coop is a brand new idea. Nobody has really done
2 > anything like it before, so it's likely to take a great deal
3 > of thought and effort to get set up correctly. I'd hate to
4 > see the Gentoo NFP efforts get delayed as a result.
5
6 I agree. I think I have been trying to solve too many problems at once
7 rather than approach this one step at a time. I am a perfectionist. It's
8 also human nature to try to make "version 2" of something incredibly complex
9 and sophisticated so as to solve all problems with "version 1". This
10 tendency is called "the second system effect." And it looks like I've fallen
11 victim to the second system effect in planning the next entity for Gentoo.
12 Because of my desire to not let anyone down, I've become paralyzed and am
13 letting everyone down. That's not my intention. We can address the funding
14 issues later and get the NFP set up this month.
15
16 > > My personal $.02:
17 >
18 > I'd like to see a closed, non-co-optable model. Both models
19 > have their weaknesses, but I think the open one is more
20 > susceptible to groupthink, not to mention coersion. I think
21 > a closed model, combined with an active, vocal community
22 > (which Gentoo certainly has) allows for a solid feedback loop
23 > without running the risks of coersion.
24
25 It would be incredibly helpful to me to get a consensus on the type of model
26 (either closed and non-co-optable or open and potentially co-optable) that
27 people would prefer for the NFP. I, like Kurt, lean towards the closed model
28 but I also realize that I will likely be part of this "closed" group so my
29 viewpoint may be skewed. I have also had some concerns about the conduct and
30 effectiveness of the management team, but I think that those issues can
31 probably be addressed by having better-defined standards and policies (such
32 as the draft "IMPORTANT: devrel procedure (long)" email I posted to -core
33 earlier today.
34
35 I have been trying to figure out a perfect organizational model for the NFP
36 that will meet everyone's expectations and wants. This is probably a fool's
37 errand -- some decisions need to be made that by their nature exclude other
38 possibilities.
39
40 The key decision to make is whether the NFP is membership-based (and open to
41 take-over) or non-membership (and thus by its nature non-democratic.) It
42 seems like most are OK with an NFP that
43 Is not open to take-over and is held accountable by the fact that developers
44 and users can vote with their feet.
45
46 I am scheduling an appointment with my lawyer early next week. If I can get
47 a consensus from list members about the organizational model of the NFP, I
48 can get him started on the paperwork.
49
50 Regards,
51
52 Daniel