From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:36:37
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 23:53 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 03:08:02PM CDT] > > Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from > > distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form. > > The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself. > > > > If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games > > Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a > > specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct? > > > > Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the > > developers? Our mirrors? > > > > What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can > > the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux? > > Good question. I have to admit that I have no idea what the answer > might be. I would think that the Foundation could, and probably should, > engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo devs. The tricky part > is that I'm not sure what, if any, ability the Foundation has to ensure > that Gentoo devs live up to their part of the bargain.
That's pretty much what I'm afraid of... I know that I would like to pursue some possible arrangements with other companies, especially as I am now getting quite close to producing some fun GameCD images, and quite a few of the "free" games from standard game production houses have restrictions on redistributing them in any form other than their original. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux