From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:36:37
1 On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 23:53 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 03:08:02PM CDT]
3 > > Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from
4 > > distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form.
5 > > The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself.
6 > >
7 > > If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games
8 > > Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a
9 > > specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct?
10 > >
11 > > Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the
12 > > developers? Our mirrors?
13 > >
14 > > What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can
15 > > the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux?
16 >
17 > Good question. I have to admit that I have no idea what the answer
18 > might be. I would think that the Foundation could, and probably should,
19 > engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo devs. The tricky part
20 > is that I'm not sure what, if any, ability the Foundation has to ensure
21 > that Gentoo devs live up to their part of the bargain.
22
23 That's pretty much what I'm afraid of...
24
25 I know that I would like to pursue some possible arrangements with other
26 companies, especially as I am now getting quite close to producing some
27 fun GameCD images, and quite a few of the "free" games from standard
28 game production houses have restrictions on redistributing them in any
29 form other than their original.
32 Chris Gianelloni
34 Games - Developer
35 Gentoo Linux