From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: trustees <trustees@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Status meeting --- 30 March
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:43:05
1 This is a brief update for the status meeting this Sunday.
2
3 1. I have not yet heard back from Mr. Chew in New Mexico on our
4 reinstatement. He indicated that it would take a few days, so this is
5 not a concern. I do not know (and he did not know) just what
6 information he needs from the state, so NM government agencies might be
7 involved. I'll call him at the end of the week if we haven't heard
8 anything.
9
10 2. I have looked at the proposed bylaws on our web site and as revised
11 on 2007-01-22. Except for the change from NM to Delaware, the proposed
12 revision is closer to what we actually are. That said, let me raise a
13 few points.
14 a. The (2007-01-22) proposal is quite detailed. Do we want the
15 initial bylaws to go into such specificity? This is probably not a big
16 deal one way or the other, because the bylaws are easily amended. And
17 NM does not care what is in them as long as they do not conflict with NM
18 law.
19 b. Both sets of bylaws call out both a Board (of Trustees) and
20 officers of the Foundation chosen by the trustees. At the moment, we
21 (the trustees) are acting as the officers of the Foundation (because we
22 chose ourselves if for no other reason). We need to think through how
23 this works and what structure we want.
24 c. Trustees must be members of the Foundation, but Officers of the
25 Foundation need only to be alive (in order to carry out their duties).
26 Right now that is probably OK because we have neatly resolved the issue
27 for the moment (see point b).
28
29 Because everything we do (in NM or anywhere else) keys off the bylaws, I
30 lean toward a recommendation as follows: After a quick scrub for sanity
31 and correctness, adapt the 2007-01-22 revision, with an eye to amending
32 it as experience warrants. And I know Roy has some ideas along these
33 lines which might belong in the bylaws or not. My inclination is to
34 pursue his ideas by other means because the bylaws should be rather
35 brief and general: The bylaws are the rules explaining who we are and
36 how we work procedurally. Thus, it is appropriate and necessary for the
37 bylaws to explain who the members are and how we vote, but inappropriate
38 for them to call out the President's salary. The bylaws are an enabling
39 document, giving the Trustees authority to act.
40
41 My thanks to my "brother in law to be" Renat Lumpau for his work to
42 produce the 2007-01-22 revision. (For the slow among you, that's an
43 in-joke of sorts.)
44
45 I hope to have a bit more on this later this week, but I am sending this
46 out a bit early because I know Josh is travelling this weekend. and I
47 wish to give him a chance to respond.
48
49 Regards,
50 Ferris
53 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
54 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)