From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins can be nominated as a trustee
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:59:15
On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:50 -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote:
> > Also, your point about managing a volunteer group that is this large > is well taken. My current approach to solve this problem is avoid the > issue in the first place and work with smaller volunteer groups. I > think this "solution" is something that the future heads of Gentoo > should consider. With the software development tools that exist today, > much of this centralization can be avoided in the first place.
But I think to some degree that is already taking place. For example, take the Java Team and Project. We pretty much operate and live in our own little world. And get involved with other aspects outside of our sphere when need be. I just think there might be gaps in the over all hierarchy with all the smaller groups/teams/projects. It's fine to have lots of smaller manageable pieces. But how they all fit back into the larger integrated unit as a whole. Is much more complicated. The middle is where the biggest problems seem to lie. Between the teams, leads, and the council. As much as it's a horrible title, but middle management might play a role there. To benefit both ends, council and the projects. Coordinator might be a better title than middle management. Those things seem to exist for like release management. But likely other areas where "coordinators" or "middle managers" could play a role. But some of that borderlines on technical operations. So would fall under the realm of the council. I think the council would be open to suggestions there from the board of trustees. But of course do not have to accept anything, or enact anything that the board requests. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Gentoo/amd64/Java